ROYAL REHAB PRIVATE HOSPITAL
Parkinson’s Disease Management & Treatment Sydney
Royal Rehab Private Hospital leads the way in Parkinson’s rehabilitation medicine.
What is Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s is a progressive neurological condition, which is characterised by both motor (movement) and non-motor symptoms.
What are the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease?
The four diagnostic symptoms are: tremor, bradykinesia (slowness of voluntary movements), muscle rigidity and postural instability. Other symptoms may include loss of smell, constipation, slowness in thinking, depression, fatigue, changes in speech fluency, micrographia (small handwriting), decrease in speech volume, sleep disturbances and swallowing changes.
What does our program include?
- Our team’s goal is to work with you to help you understand your condition and how you can improve your physical, breathing and vocal abilities.
- Our specialist PD Warrior® program is an exercise therapy designed to enhance movement in order to make everyday activities easier. Our exercise classes are tailored to each individual and delivered by our certified PD Warrior® clinicians. This therapy is high energy and stimulating for both body and brain.
- Our Speech Therapy in Parkinson’s disease is based on the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) principles. By focusing on the goal “Think LOUD!” you can improve breathing and control of the voice box so that speech is easier to understand.
- Music Therapy is an exciting and engaging component of our program which has been shown to have many reported benefits for people with Parkinson’s disease. Techniques such as rhythmic auditory stimulation are used to improve the quality of movement.
- Physiotherapy will help you to retrain your mobility and balance. Also you may need advice on walking aids that may help you to stay safe and reduce your risk of falls.
- Hydrotherapy sessions are also available in our heated pool.
- Occupational Therapy helps you maximise your independence in everyday tasks such as by working on dressing, getting out of the house, preparing meals, sleep and rest, thinking and memory; and fine motor skills such as handwriting.
- Clinical Psychology services are also available to support your needs as well as Dietetics if you require dietary advice.
- Education is an integral part of your program so you have a better understanding of Parkinson’s disease and know how to maintain the improvements you have made.
Customised for You
ü Your program will be overseen by a team of highly-trained rehabilitation specialists.
ü You can choose a combination of health disciplines to suit your needs.
ü Your program will be personalised to achieve your goals.
ü You will be assessed in real-time as you progress for each session.
ü You are in safe hands with our reputation in care, specialising in brain and spinal cord injury.
Referring to Day Rehabilitation
Prior to commencing the Day Rehabilitation program, patients need to provide the following documents:
- Referral letter from a general practitioner or treating medical officer
- Completed Royal Rehab Private Day Program referral form
- Funding details (i.e. private health insurance details or compensation details if the treatment is related to Workers Compensation or a third-party claim)
Upon receipt of your referral, an appointment will be scheduled with a rehabilitation specialist who will assess you and recommend an appropriate program.
Upon receipt of this recommended program, your scheduled appointments will be organised.
If you are wanting hydrotherapy as part of your program, you will need to be cleared medically by filling out the below clearance form.